It’s miserable out this weekend, so I have spent the majority of my time baking. With the rest I have been watching rugby and eating the goodies that I made.
I started out yesterday morning with Celeriac and Blue Cheese Soda Bread. It’s the February recipe from my Abel and Cole calendar and as luck would have it I got a celeriac in my veg box this week. I made it to go with leek and potato soup for my lunches. It’s so easy and so tasty. I’ll definitely be making it again.
Next I made Pea, Feta and Mint Fatayer from a recipe I got from a course I took at the Vegetarian Cookery School in Bath. These are little pasties made with a soft pastry with yoghurt as a secret ingredient. The filling is exactly as it says in the name of the fatayer; pea, feta and mint. They’re deliciious hot or cold. I’ve frozen half the batch and will eat the remainder in my packed lunches this week.
Finally, I adapted a recipe for Aztec Cookies from The Great Comic Relief Bake Off recipe book. The adaptations were made out of necessity – I ran out of flour and didn’t have any espresso flavoured chocolate. So here’s my take on it:
140g dark chocolate
1 large egg
2tsp instant coffee (I used Kenco Milicano for extra flavour)
few drops of vanilla extract
75g caster sugar
100g plain flour
75g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
3 bags white chocolate buttons
- Dissolve the instant coffee in 100ml boiling water, then leave to go cold.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter (in microwave or bowl over boiling water) and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the egg, cold coffee, vanilla and sugar. Then stir in the melted chocolate/butter mix.
- Add the ground almonds to the wet ingredients and then sift in the flour and baking powder and combine. Stir in the white chocolate buttons.
- Set the mixture aside for 10-15 minutes to let it thicken. Meanwhile, line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Spoon the mixture out onto the baking trays into 12-15 heaps.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until firm, at 150C.
- Leave the coookies on the baking tray for around 5 minutes after removing from the oven.